Saturday 6 August 2011

REPLICATE THE MOVIES: Sex and the City



Ever watched a film and thought "I'd love to live in a place like that"? Of course you have: that's why companies pay so much to have their products featured in films. I think a lot of people assume this Product Placement is mainly used by companies like Coke Cola and Pepsi, where the main character is seen sipping from a cup with a giant logo plastered across it and strategically placed facing the camera. But often I find myself drawn to the background, the scenery and the home accessories. So, I've decided to explore some films and really try to locate the products so you can try to recreate them in your own home. I decide to go firstly with the chick flicks; Sex and The City 1 & 2.

SEX & THE CITY… it's all about designer

Considering the series focused so much on designer clothing, it's not surprising that when they decided to bring it to the Big Screen, they thought to revamp the (let's admit it) drab interiors. And, no surprise at all that they decided instead to clad every surface in designer wares. Fortunately, the world of interior design has nowhere near as many designer brands and items as the world of fashion, so finding the exact items isn't too difficult… affording them is a little harder!

 
CARRIES "GROWN UP" APARTMENT
Onto Sex and the City 2 (which is dire – seriously, don't bother watching this as it has absolutely no plot whatsoever) we see Carrie and Big in their marital home and instead get a design fusion of Carrie's Fashionista flair and Big's New York Banker style. Again, throw in multiple designer labels, vintage pieces and a price-tag that'll give you a heart attack, and BOOM, you've got it. I particularly like this colour palette I have to say – the masculine taupe with splashes of a feminine pink and blue really appeals to me.



 
CARRIE AND BIG'S APARTMENT
If I had to pick one, I think I'd opt for Carrie's apartment from the first film. I love the bold splash of colour and even though it's deemed the "grown up" version of Carrie's apartment, it's still young and fresh. Their marital home is very adult, and as much as I do like it, I certainly couldn't live in it as it's far too conservative for my tastes.


 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...