Sunday 25 September 2011

The K factor: Kelly Hoppen


I read today that Kelly Hoppen is starring in new interior design programme, Superior Interiors, on Channel 5 starting on Tuesday evening. I confess, I was a tiny bit disappointed at first, as it means the Kelly Hoppen brand will truly be accessible to the masses, and therefore loses a little of her exclusivity. On the other hand, I was super excited as it means we'll really get chance to see how she pulls schemes together and how well she can budget-manage. I'm in two minds as to whether I'll watch it as the great british bake off is on the other side… we'll see. Anyway, as I'm sure much of it will feature on the show, I've had a browse through her collections and have selected my personal favourites. As you know, I tend to focus on Bedroom design so have opted for items with this in mind.

Hoppen's bedrooms…




Here are a couple of her bedroom designs shown on her website. I love her simplicity and adore the colour palette – you just know that this will still be a knockout interior scheme in 10 years' time which people are still trying the replicate.
Hoppen uses quite a unique headboard in one room, and unfortunately this isn't included in her ranges. However, I think the Ameilia Bed from High Fashion Home is maybe a nice alternative, though you may need to break open your Piggy Bank for this one.


Her Wallpaper range in exclusive to Graham & Brown and perfectly represents her brand, using black, taupe, grey and beige as her primary palette. She has also included a deeper than deep purple shade which is just beautiful. I particularly like the Tattoo design, available in four colour-ways at just £30 a roll. I'm seriously contemplating this now for our master bedroom.



Hoppen also has her own paint range, but I've not personally used it and as you may have figured out by now, I'm rather addicted to Farrow and Ball paint; it applies wonderfully for a supreme finish. The muted tones of Farrow & Ball complement Hoppen's much loved Taupe, in particular Elephant's Breath, so I'd be more inclined to select a colour from F&B. They also have a slightly broader colour range. I do intend to try some Kelly Hoppen paint and if it matches F&B in quality, I'll happily revise the above comments J



Now, two items I REALLY, REALLY LOVE are these chairs which Hoppen has designed with Barker & Stonehouse. The first armchair reminds me of a classic mid-20th century chair by T.H. Robsjohn. It's upholstered in a taupe/grey leather with beautiful detailing. The second is the dining chair, upholstered in a linen blend with simplicity in form and decoration. Either would be suitable for a bedroom chair, as they are interesting enough to stand alone without dictating a style to the other furniture or fittings.




Onto soft furnishings, hot on my wish list are these gorgeous Button cushions and this beautiful bedspread from QVC.
So what about the pieces which Hoppen doesn't have yet in her range? (namely bedsides, wardrobes, flooring). Well, the old staple Hemnes range from ikea would be appropriate for a lower budget scheme if you tried to replicate Hoppen's style at Home. Or www.Andsotobed.co.uk for some more unique-looking furniture in dark wood. Kelly tends to stick with angular designs, so even Dwell could be used for a more contemporary look. The key aspect is to go for something quite simple but with nice detailing: if it's a simple shape, maybe the veneer could be turned, or the finish could be mock-marble to make it that little bit special.



I'm surprised Hoppen hasn't yet struck up an alliance with The Rug Company to create her own complimenting range, as rugs do feature heavily in her schemes (please do it Kelly!) so until that happens, I think the Stepevi deep pile collections could work equally well in a Hoppen inspired interior. Be warned, they are pricey but no rug I've come across remotely compares in quality or design.

Do you have a favourite from the Brand? And more importantly, will you be watching the Great British Bake Off or Superior Interiors?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...