Wednesday 17 August 2011

Beach Chic – a Hollister Inspired Bedroom Scheme


When you tell somebody you're an Interior Designer (or used to be) they can't help but say "ooh, that sounds exciting" closely followed by "I've been wondering how to decorate my living room…". Such a conversation took place a couple of weeks ago, with our Mortgage Adviser:
Mortgage Advisor: "what did you do for a living"
Me: "I was an Interior Designer"
Mortgage Advisor: "Wow, that sounds interesting. I've been wondering how to decorate my bedroom…"



Firstly, the walls need to close in on the space - a dark marine-inspired palette would be best, maybe a deep teal or oceanic blue. "Green Smoke" by Farrow & Ball is an interesting shade: a strange mix of blue, green and grey which oozes masculinity. I think it important to explore further than the usual pale blue hue, white weathered wood and nautical stripes. I like how Hollister create this dark rabbit warren which is in no way nautical and yet undeniably Beach Chic.

Next, the furniture is almost Antique – has a certain worn, threadbare appearance. Wallis & Gambier have a great furniture range, "Zanzibar" which is a beautiful red brown wood which compliments the Green Smoke perfectly. Add in a wrought Iron bedframe, black, with plain white bedding, and a wingback armchair in a rich Grey or Hessian fabric. And finally, this Beach haven isn't complete without the dark wood plantation shutters. Ceiling and floor should be dark too – maybe even a black ceiling – and a walnut floorboard with feature Zebra print rug (the Rug Company has a fab design by Diane Von Furstenburg, or alternately her Climbing leopard design)
Then he said that he loved the Hollister Store in Liverpool and would love his bedroom to be styled like that. I can see the appeal, I thought later, and ever since I've been thinking about how that could be achieved.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...