Thursday 21 July 2011

HOTEL BEDROOM TOURS: The Charlotte Street, London


To kick start my Hotel Bedroom Tours, (where I try to source the fixtures and finishes of some of the best Designer Hotels to help you recreate the look in your own home) I thought I'd begin with one of my personal favourites: The Charlotte Street Hotel.


Part of the Firmdale Hotel Group and designed by owner Kit Kemp, the Charlotte Street has set the bar for many Hotel Designers to follow. Kit has spent many an hour sourcing lots of different manufacturers in order to create some inspiring and unique interiors. Thankfully, after a bit of research, I have been able to find some of the exact suppliers and source what I think are some good substitutes for the items which were a little more elusive, for what I like to call "the Blue Room"...

The key element for this rooms' design is the wallpaper and headboard fabric: the Jack Damask by Daniel Croyle. At a reasonable £40 a roll (cheaper than many high street wallpapers I may point out) the wallpaper has been used on all walls, rather than just a feature wall. Combined with the matching fabric in a cleaver colour change, the pattern really comes alive yet doesn't seem to overpower the space, most likely due to the calming colour scheme. The Fabric is a little more pricey at £57 a metre, and you'd probably need approx. 4m for a headboard of a similar design which would set you back around £300, making the Headboard an investment at £500-£550
Cleverly leaving the walls to provide the pattern and excitement, Kit has then used some fairly simple fabrics in the Curtains and Upholstery. Though I couldn't find an exact match, this fabric by Designers Guild is a good alternative, and they have a similar armchair design to that used in this scheme too.

Now, onto Furniture, I think the Keraton Range by Lombok works well with Kit's scheme - this costs £3680 for 2 bedsides, a chest of drawers and a wardrobe. The dark wood in a rustic, masculine form, really compliments what could be considered a feminine backdrop. the Bedside lamp is by Graham and Green, a not-too-bad £130 each: simple and classic.
And finally - what Firmdale Hotel would be complete without the Female Mannequin upholstered to match the headboard? I actually consider this a neat and practical addition to a bedroom and worth the extra expense - approx. £50 for a plain mannequin and then maybe 2.5sq m of fabric to upholster.
So how much would it cost to recreate this room's style? For your average bedroom, I would suggest a budget of £6,000 would do it. Of course, to reduce costs you could substitute the Lombok furniture for the Hemnes Range from Ikea and save £3,000.
I've quite enjoyed taking a look around Kit Kemp's design and am sorely tempted to try another one of her Hotels... the Soho perhaps? But in the meantime, let me know of any Hotel you'd like included in this tour
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...