Monday 25 July 2011

Classic Cars

Now, I won't pretend that I know a single thing about cars. I know how to open the doors, switch on the engine and if I'm lucky, open the bonnet to refill the windscreen wiper fluid. But I certainly admire good design, even if it is purely aesthetic appreciation. This Sunday was the Port Sunlight Village Festival - a highlight in my calendar - and the village was host to a Vintage Classic Car show, amongst other entertainment. Here, for your viewing pleasure, are just a couple of the cars which I especially liked.
Ok, so I don't know what this car is exactly, I only know its pre-war, and its classic :D but by happy coincidence, I took the photo as it cruised past one of my favourite buildings in the Village - it has a very Agatha Cristie look about it, and I though this car really fitted well with it.
This next car I do know: its a Vauxhall Cresta. It says it on the side. It also happens to be my favourite of those I photographed - its a real 1950's gem. Oh, and its Pink! I just adore the shape - the curve of the roof, the neat little wings on the back, and the beautiful tyres. These weren't just practical modes of transport: they were pieces of Art on wheels.

And finally, this is the gorgeous MG A (?) with a hard top. It hails from the late 1950's/early 1960's I believe and for some reason makes me think of driving across a windswept Yorkshire moor towards Whitby. I imagine that's down to seeing something similar in an episode of Heartbeat (which I swear I don't watch. Often). What really made me smile was the little rack on the back with a picnic hamper strapped on. You rarely see that feature on modern cars, mores the pity.

Well, that's all folks! I should have taken more photos, but alas, the funfair was beckoning. Which is your favourite? If money wasn't an issue, would you choose to drive a vintage classic? I think I would, but only if the picnic basket was included.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...